When there are so many things going on in the world, it's nice to stop and reflect on things that make you happy. As a doula, I've been so lucky to be invited to that intimate time in people lives where they welcome their newest addition to their family. Doulas often see many different birth experiences. Some can be funny, some can be heartwarming. What are my favourite 8 experiences to date? Well I'm so glad you asked!
- 3 hours into labour my client started having the urge to push. Uhh…call the midwife, this baby is coming fast! Midwife comes, baby comes 30 minutes later.
- Baby is put on mom’s chest. Promptly poos all over mom’s body. Nothing like that sticky meconium all over your belly!
- Client asks to take a break during transition. Says they will “resume” tomorrow after some rest. I feel you, but this baby is coming!
- Cat stays by mom’s side the whole time she labours at home. The connection between them was so beautiful.
- Client labours for 3 days. After baby is born she’s bright eyed, bushy tailed, and ready to conquer. A mother’s strength never ceases to amaze me.
- Client calls me over. It’s still early but she wants me to lay in bed with her and help her through the contractions. I love how close we get with our clients!
- Client starts laughing during the pushing phase. By engaging those pelvic floor muscles, she starts laughing her baby down. Baby is being pushed out by laughter! Love it!
- That time my client’s baby shot out like a cork and drenched the OB in amniotic fluid. I’m talking it was a head to toe shower, and everyone was laughing. The OB caught the baby well and placed it skin to skin on my client’s chest. Well done!
Sometimes, birth can be fun for everyone involved. Something magical happens when a baby is being born. I love that I get to be a part of it.
What was your favourite birth story? Have one to share? Comment below!